Steps to Prepare for How to Paint a Skateboard
- Take a photo of the “before” deck top and bottom for sake of posterity. If you can, weigh the board so you have a reference as to the weight of the removed paint and the paint you’re to add.
- Using the knife, lift the grip tape at the end of the board and begin peeling
- If required, use the heat gun or blow dryer to warm the grip tape glue in order to facilitate the peeling process. Removing the grip tape should take between three and seven minutes.
- Using the sander and 40 grit paper, proceed to remove the graphic from the bottom of the deck. Be patient as this can take 20 minutes. Apply a lot of pressure on the sander but avoid digging or carving into the wood with the edge of the sander.
- Once the graphic has been removed, re-sand with a 150 grit paper in order to smooth out the wood. This step should take no more than five minutes.